Thursday, August 6, 2009

The First Days of School

Summer was a short 7 weeks here in Hawaii. The kids are all starting at new schools this year. Here are the kids' take on their first impressions of the new school year:

TREVOR: Kailua Baptist Preschool







Kissing Goodbye



"I talked to my teachers!" was Trevor's report, which means he must love it there, or he'd be sullen and cautious, taking his time to warm up.
JAMON: Aikahi Elementary School--5th Grade
"Everyone in the class is going to have a job. We can apply for 2 jobs and we have to have references. I am applying to be the Banker or the Oops Manager. They both make $950. We have to pay rent for our desks, and if we want to buy someone else's desk, they have to pay us the rent."
AEDAN: Kailua Intermediate School--7th Grade
DR. Hughes....Oh My Gosh. He is the most INSANE teacher I have EVER met. He's like 65 or so and he's the math teacher...here's a couple quotes for you: (yes, he said all of these things)1:"WHAT is three? Yes I know that you are like 'well three is three' but the more you think about it, when you're walking home from school a lightning bolt will zap you and you'll be like 'Oh My Gosh. What is three?? OH MY GOSH, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THREE IS!!' and then you'll start thinking about all the numbers and so on."

As for Mother Hen, I love how different each school is in their expectations for the child:
Preschool Teacher: "Please be sure to bring in a photo of your family, it really helps the child to see their family is right there with us in the room."
Elementary Counselor: "We have a support group for children whose parents are deployed, and we'll also have a special lunch for all the new kids to our school this year."
Intermediate Principal: "What is going on here? I've never seen so many parents on the first day of school! This is NOT Kindergarten. These kids need to figure this out for themselves."

No comments: