Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Fan Club

Every time I enter the Marine Corps base, the guard checks our car ID tags, salutes me, and wishes me a good day. I'm not comfortable with the salute. Makes me feel like a noblewoman atop a transportable settee nodding disdainfully to a servant. Anyway--one morning, I was surprised when I got the salute, a good day ma'am, and an emphatic "You ROCK!" from the guard.

What's wrong with THAT guy? I thought. Then, what am I thinking? Of course I rock!

Then a flashback to a young man who is a Walmart greeter who welcomed me to the store and said, "I sure like your aqua blue top with those shiny black capris!"

Pervert, I thought as I glanced down, are these capris really shiny?

Come to find out the guy's not altogether there and compliments everyone on what they're wearing. I embraced it. Totally looked forward to getting a compliment on my way in the Walmart door. Great pick-me-up.

So this morning, I headed through the main gate of the base, my guy wasn't at the guard post. I got the salute and the good day ma'am, to which I added a mental, You ROCK!

I think I just found my new daily affirmation.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Ann...this is old news. We all know you ROCK! Go ahead and add me to your fan base.

Vern said...

I was in "that" Wal Mart the other day and that guy told me, "I like your Rock Star glasses". So, not only do I rock, I'm a ROCK STAR!