Friday, February 20, 2009

Comparison Shopping

The other day, I stopped by Foodland to pick up some milk. Normally I shop at the commissary, but it doesn't open until 10, and I would be otherwise engaged. I knew I'd be paying more, but the convenience made it worth it. . .until I saw that it was $7.99 a gallon!

Deciding that we'd do without, and almost committing to become a vegan--if only I could live without my dairy--I decided to jot down some prices of a few basics for your enjoyment. I'd be curious to know how these prices compare to the mainland--and especially in Alaska.

First price is the grocery store...second price is the commissary. SO glad to have that!

Milk 7.99 -------------- 3.81 (just went down from over $4)

Eggs 4.49-------------- 1.63

Bread 4.99-------------2.99

Yoplait 1.59------------ .50

Oreos 5.29-------------2.25

Gas is at $2.24 on base.

We could definitely use some Coupon Clubs out this way!

1 comment:

Amber Jensen said...

Wow, I have always wanted to do a price comparison. It is amazing how much we really do save. Now we need to check safeway. I bought some milk there recently that was just over $4. We need to get together, if the weather would cooperate we could hit the beach. Maybe dinner or something.